On a very cold New Years Day UPL’s Commercial Director Damian Stroud joined 1657 mad people on the beach at Saundersfoot in Pembrokeshire.
They were cheered on by approximately 6000 spectators as they did a group warm up ‘gangnam style’ and then ran down to plunge into the freezing sea for a refreshing swim – all in the name of charity.
Damian did the swim dressed as Rudolph the Reindeer alongside his brother David who was dressed as Father Christmas.
They were very happy to receive their medals after the swim as proof that they had completed it, and very proud that they raised over £800 for Macmillan Cancer Research in the process.
The total raised for a range of charities by everyone who took part exceeded £40,000.
There were some very enterprising costumes amongst the swimmers
as can be seen in the examples below:
A swim has been organised at Saundersfoot since 1984 and has now become an infamous New Years Day event. Over the years the swim has grown in stature and it has become the biggest occasion on the Saundersfoot social calendar helping to raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for both local and national charities.
Two of UPL’s packaging development team Damian Stroud (Commercial Director) & Dave Mitchell (Packaging Manager) recently visited Cosmoprof in Bologna to attend the industry’s premier Toiletries & Packaging exhibition.
This was the 45th Cosmoprof & it is regarded as the most important show in the industry’s calendar. However this year the attendance appeared to be down & there was a general feeling being that the numbers of UK visitors / exhibitors were less than normal, probably because of the economic climate & the high costs involved.
UPL firmly believes that attending such exhibitions is critical to enable us to remain at the forefront of what’s new & exciting within the industry and to maintain our level of packaging development expertise.
If you would like to discuss any of your packaging development requirements with UPL please do not hesitate to contact us.
UPL has a long-term commitment to improving the environment and in 2010 we introduced a comprehensive recycling review. At that time the ratio between waste product that was sent to landfill and waste that was being recycled was 41% recycled and 59% sent to landfill.
Since then we have analysed all aspects of the business to identify the different recycling waste streams that could be introduced to reduce the amount of waste being sent to landfill, and we now have a wide range of recycling initiatives and programmes in place to address the separate waste areas.
Electrical equipment – we were already using a Weee compliant container for redundant computers, but this has now been increased to include all electrical waste so that it can also be recycled.
Cardboard – we have purchased some specialised cages that are strategically located around the premises so that all waste cardboard can be put into these cages before transfer to a cardboard skip. This then goes on to be recycled.
Metal items – a special Metal Skip has been installed to keep metal items separated for recycling.
General waste – this was being put into a skip that was being collected 4 times per week and driven several miles to the landfill site. To reduce this wasteful travel we installed a compactor skip that instantly reduced the collections to 2 per week. This effectively halved the travel distance for our general waste and further reduced our carbon footprint.
Plastic waste- two separate streams were identified:
Aluminium cans – specialised bins have been installed in the canteen for the cans to be separated and collected for recycling.
Specialist Waste – we have established a close relationship the company that collects the specialist waste which typically comprises of out of spec / out of date chemicals / bulk liquid and finished product. We have been working together to ensure that we recycle as much specialist waste as possible and the latest load analysis revealed that 64% is now being recycled into energy and composting, and the remaining 36% goes for treatment and then to landfill.
In summary, a year after the introduction of this recycling programme, UPL are now at the point where 73% of our total waste is recycled and the remaining 27% goes to landfill. This is a fantastic achievement, but we want to continue to improve upon this, so we intend to maintain the focus on this important area and our target is to achieve a recycling level of 85% by 2015.
Congratulations to UPL’s HR Manager – Maxine Alder who successfully completed the 13.1 mile Moonlight Walk Half Marathon on June 4th. Maxine was raising funds for St Catherine’s Hospice in Preston which is a charity dedicated to providing specialised end of life care and support to local people, their families, friends and carers. It does not receive any government funding and therefore relies on fundraising events to keep going.
The Moonlight walk half marathon started at midnight and there were 2000 women participating in the walk this year. A total of £197,220 was pledged in sponsorship.